We're a volunteer-driven organization... From editing to design to assembly and all activities inbetween, Red Bird exists because of the time, effort and dedication of talented and generous volunteers. If you're interested in getting involved please contact us.
An internship with Red Bird will introduce you to all aspects of a small literary publisher and will provide you with skills that can easily transfer to larger publishers and other careers.
Intern responsibilities will include:
- Reading, evaluating and reporting on fiction, nonfiction, poetry and hybrid manuscript possibilities
- Sending out author correspondence (guidelines, manuscript acknowledgements, etc.)
- Assisting with the design, copy writing and production of content for newsletters, catalogs and other promotional materials
- Coordinating mailings (proofs, press releases, etc.)
- Assisting with tracking, formatting and archiving of reviews and other media
- Researching and reporting on grant prospects
- Providing research and recommendations regarding special projects and initiatives
- Filing, copying and other general administrative work
- Working on other projects as needed
- Assisting editors and designers as needed
Necessary Skills and Qualifications:
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with excellent written, verbal and organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills with experience in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work independently and with others
- Dependability, flexibility, and ability to maintain confidentiality
Internships average 8 to 12 hours per week over the course of 4 months. Internships are available over three sessions.
- Fall internships run September through December. Applications accepted between July 1 and August 15.
- Spring internships run January through April. Applications accepted between October 1 and November 15.
- Summer internships run May through August. Applications accepted between February 1 and March 15.
To apply for an internship please send a resume and cover letter to Sarah Hayes. Please use the subject line Internship.